[r6rs-discuss] expt and exactness

Eric Knauel knauel at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Aug 27 04:48:35 EDT 2007

Reading v5.97 today, I got a bit confused about the exactness of expt:
Section 11.7.1 lists `expt' among the procedures that must return an exact
result if all arguments are exact. Two paragraphs later, however, the text
lists `expt' among the procedures which may return inexact results even if
given exact arguments.

In fact, the the exactness of expt's return value depends on the types of the
arguments---according to the definition.  I think that it is confusing to
list `expt' among the procedures that *must* return exact results, since the
wording suggests that the procedures listed compute exact results under all
circumstances.

-Eric