[r6rs-discuss] [Scheme-reports] [scheme-reports] Scheme pattern matching & R*RS

Jim Wise jwise at draga.com
Tue Dec 21 10:44:24 EST 2010

Per Bothner <per at bothner.com> writes:

> The (default/preferred) syntax for lambda should do pattern-matching
> *without* having to use a verbose name like match-lambda*.  I don't
> want either of these:
> (1) People learning and using Scheme having to mix 2 sets of
> keywords depending on whether they want to use pattern-matching.
> (2) Having to use keywords that are *even more* verbose than R6RS.

FWIW, with John Cowan's and my changes to the MatchingWise proposal,
importing the (rnrs match) library overrides the following forms from
(rnrs core) and (rnrs control) with versions which do pattern matching
but are otherwise upwardly compatible with the non-pattern matching
versions:

        lambda
        case-lambda
        let
        let*
        letrec

It is intended that importing (rnrs match) will not change the meaning
of any existing code; this way the library lays the groundwork for
making such behavior the default in a future version of the report.

The proposal is at

    http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/MatchingWise

--
				Jim Wise